St Patrick's has a rich history. It all started in 1935 when Father Bannan of Holy Rosary and Bishop Hayes saw that with the development and progress in Bundaberg, a parish school was needed. Land in Harriett Street (renamed Powers Street in 1940) was purchased for 250 pounds and plans were drawn up for St Patrick's School.
Parish members fundraised with vigour and on Sunday, 23rd August 1936, the school a 50 x 50 feet wooden structure, divided into three classrooms, was blessed and opened by Bishop Hayes of Rockhampton.
The Sisters of Mercy staffed the school and classes began in January 1937 with Sister Mary Liam as Principal and an enrolment of less than forty.
In 1946 a further acre of land was purchased in George Street and in 1959 the first brick extensions were opened by Bishop Rush. In 1974 and 1976 further classrooms were added under this block.
In 1979 another block of four classrooms was opened and blessed by Bishop Wallace.
In 1980, the last Sister of Mercy was farewelled and in 1981 the first lay Principal was appointed to our school.
In 1992 with the purchase of more land in Mulgrave Street, a new administration block and Preschool were completed.
In 1997, another block of land was purchased in Mulgrave Street and in 1999 two new Year Three classrooms and an air conditioned Activity Room were built.
In 1999 we renovated an existing room to house a new 30 station computer laboratory.
With enrolments continuing to grow, a further two new classrooms were built in 2001 for our two Year Two classes and 2002 saw the building of a further two new classrooms for our Year One classes.
During 2004 we built a new Library and increased our Technology Programs with a mini lab attached to the Library. We also constructed a large covered area and a new toilet block for our senior students.
In 2006, our Administration block was refurbished. We also built a new Preparatory unit in preparation for the introduction of Prep in 2007. During 2010 a number of exciting building projects occurred with the Multipurpose area extended, an Arts Centre, Canteen and new classrooms being constructed.
In 2012, St Patrick's proudly celebrated our 75th anniversary, and we have now commenced the journey of developing into a three stream school.
Due to continued growth, in 2016 we constructed six new classrooms suited towards contemporary learning, extended and refurbished our Administration building, provided a Pick-Up and Drop-Off zone for parents, and extended our Courtyard area.
In 2017, we plan to complete our building work when we construct two further classrooms, ensuring we have adequate facilities in place to become a fully three stream school in 2018.
In 2018, building work worth more than $2.5million was completed, ensuring we have modern facilities suitable for contemporary learning.